Upcoming Tournament: Meridian: September 17th Details HERE
It is almost time for the 2016-2017 Austin Area Homeschoolers Chess Club!
The Austin Area Homeschoolers Chess Club is a weekly chess club for homeschoolers in the Austin area. We meet during the school year on Wednesdays beginning September 7th at the Hancock Recreation Center from 11:45 – 2:00 to play chess and have fun! Please see the schedule page for holidays and more information.
- Signing in for Chess Club starts at 11:45. Parents and children help to set up tables, chairs, boards, and clocks to get ready for the day. We begin pairing the first round at 12:00, so if you are not there before by 12, you may not get paired for the first round but will still get to play the other rounds.
- Chess club is NOT A DROP OFF!!! Parents must be with their children when they are in between chess rounds especially outside. We are not responsible for your children.
- Participants are from many different levels. We have beginners all the way to tournament players. We only expect children to have a good idea of how the pieces move.
- We usually play 4 rounds of 10 minute chess (per player) and use chess clocks to keep play going. Don’t worry if your child does not know how to use a chess clock. We will help them, and it is a good thing to learn in case they ever want to participate in a tournament.
- Parents are expected to help out wherever they can. We will have a sign up this year so that everyone can pitch in where they are able. We are all volunteers at AAH Chess.
- The Hancock Recreation Center charges an entry fee of $1 per chess player per week. This covers facility costs. Check in and pay at the rec center desk. Then check in at the chess club computer to enter the tournament. To cover club costs, membership dues are $20 per player per year. You may try for a time or 2 before paying dues.
Tournament Results: Tournament results have been posted under the Results link. Congratulations to all of our players.