Welcome to the Austin Area Homeschoolers Chess Club website!
**We will be resuming the club this Fall 2021! See 2021-2022 Schedule.
The Austin Area Homeschoolers (AAH) Chess Club is a weekly chess club for homeschoolers in the Austin area. We meet during the school year on Wednesdays usually the first week in September at the Hancock Recreation Center from 11:45 – 2:00 to play chess and have fun! Please see the schedule page for holidays and more information.
- Signing in for Chess Club starts at 11:45. Parents and children help to set up tables, chairs, boards, and clocks to get ready for the day. We begin pairing the first round at 12:00, so if you are not there before by 12, you may not get paired for the first round but will still get to play the other rounds.
- Chess club is NOT A DROP OFF!!! Parents must be with their children when they are in between chess rounds especially outside. We are not responsible for your children.
- Participants are from many different levels. We have beginners all the way to tournament players. We only expect children to have a good idea of how the pieces move.
- We usually play 4 rounds of 10 minute chess (per player) and use chess clocks to keep play going. Don’t worry if your child does not know how to use a chess clock. We will help them, and it is a good thing to learn in case they ever want to participate in a tournament.
- Parents are expected to help out wherever they can. We will have a sign up this year so that everyone can pitch in where they are able. We are all volunteers at AAH Chess.
- The Hancock Recreation Center charges an entry fee of $1 per chess player per week. This covers facility costs. Check in at the chess club computer to enter the tournament and pay the $1 facility fee. To cover club costs, membership dues are $20 per player per year. You may try for a time or 2 before paying dues.