Welcome to the Austin Area Homeschoolers Chess Club website!
**We will be resuming the club this Fall 2021 beginning September 8 at PEASE PARK (cannot currently meet at Hancock)! See 2021-2022 Schedule. Updated 9/2/2021
The Austin Area Homeschoolers (AAH) Chess Club is a weekly chess club for homeschoolers in the Austin area. We meet during the school year on Wednesdays usually the first week in September at the Hancock Recreation Center (We are not able to meet at Hancock currently, please see the schedule page for updated location for Fall 2021) from 11:45 – 2:00 to play chess and have fun! Please see the schedule page for holidays and more information.
- Signing in for Chess Club starts at 11:45. Children and parents can help to set up the boards, pieces and clocks to get ready for the day. We begin pairing the first round at 12:00, so if you are not there before by 12, you may not get paired for the first round but will still get to play the other rounds.
- Chess club is not a drop off event.
- Participants are from many different levels. We have beginners all the way to tournament players. We only expect children to have a good idea of how the pieces move.
- We usually play 4 rounds of 10 minute chess (per player) and use chess clocks to keep play going. Don’t worry if your child does not know how to use a chess clock. We will help them, and it is a good thing to learn in case they ever want to participate in a tournament.
- Parents are expected to help out wherever they can. We are all volunteers at AAH Chess.
- Note: Does not currently apply while we are holding chess at Pease Park – The Hancock Recreation Center charges an entry fee of $1 per chess player per week. This covers facility costs. Check in at the chess club computer to enter the tournament and pay the $1 facility fee. To cover club costs, membership dues are $20 per player per year. You may try for a time or 2 before paying dues.
Please email me directly if you have any questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org.